I haven’t been on the blog or my computer for nearly a week. We missed the usual Friday Kids Corner and the rest of my normal posting days. In the last week or two we’ve road tripped, worked hard on the boat and continued to discover repairs that need immediate attention. Stats definitely flog me for inattention to my writing. This isn’t foreign to me as I value family road trips, work on the boat and actual adventuring…but still love to write when I have time and energy. Sooo there’s more rain coming into So Cal on these atmospheric rivers sitting off the west coast and we’re predicted to get four more days of straight rain. If I was in Seattle I’d understand rain, wind and coldy weather, but we’ve had not so great weather (lots of rain) since January. Oh well, there’s always curtains to sew. I’m in boat work season as we sit about five months from casting off so there’s no end to things that need attention and Michelle is still working full time. The kids only have one more week of school, so that will have a definite impact on my work schedule. In the last two weeks, I’ve gained a definite understanding about why you probably HIRE folks to do your brightwork (teak scraping, sanding and varnishing). I’ve finished the scraping and sanding of the window frames all around Tulum and moved on to adding the base coats of varnish. You can do one coat a day. I’ve finished three coats and we’re trying to head offshore next week, so we’ll look pretty funny heading out with blue tape all over our windows but the tape is a pain in the ass to put on….so I may not take it off if I don’t finish (due to the rain).
This week I got motivated and ripped out all the old plumbing associated with the electric two heads we took off the boat. With Francisco Cedillo’s (Cedillo Marine- 619 496 4116)) help, we opened (read holed) both holding tanks and cleaned them completely. [I’m going to do a complete post on these two fun days of work, but a bit here too]. Now I’ll drop some reality on you…I was personally here when both holding tanks were pumped professionally and water was added several times to get all the solids out (we thought). Dead Wrong! When we opened the tanks, both tanks were about a 1/4 full of solids and hardened material…it didn’t all come out when Pepe La Poo pumped it. The other reality is how heavy the lines were. Several of the lines from both forward and stern heads were nearly 50% filled with solids…meaning that they would have eventually been stopped up completely. Think through this….these are your hoses to and from your macerator and holding tank!
Here’s the first day of plumbing that we ripped out:
Here’s the second day of plumbing and other assorted stuff ripped out from beneath my stern head:
TIP: In the pics (if you look close) you’ll see diapers. Diapers are cheap, absorbant and easily found. They have elastic and can be easily positioned to catch anything that drips or leaks.
And now, Quincy speaks:
As told directly to me from Quincy’s bad breath mouth to my ear, “I don’t know why the boat’s SOO stinky when I come home…but I do know I’m not pleased by all this cold weather. I can’t go lay in the sun…one of my favorite things when my dog walker is varnishing”.
Ok, I’ve back on my posting schedule and working hard on the boat. We trying to go offshore for a few days coming up but I’ll be back to posting after that-